Friday, December 2, 2011

What I'm Really Thankful For

This Thanksgiving we all took turns at the dinner table saying what we are thankful for. I'm sure this was happening in quite a few homes at the very same time. As each person took their turn, they almost always said that they were thankful for family and friends. Again, I'm sure this too was happening in quite a few homes at the very same time. When it was my turn to say what I was thankful for I too said family and friends. But then I added more to it. This is because I have more reasons to be thankful for my family and friends than ever before. For me, it was way more than some nice, general comment of gratitude. It was, and is, a genuine and heartfelt declaration of how I feel. My family and friends have given me assistance when I only only barely request it, and even more amazing, they've offered their help when I didn't even ask for it. They have gone out of their way, and out of their comfort zones, to do things for me in my time of need. And all I can say is WOW!

I've mentioned before that I am not the type to ask for help. I have always been the one to do things for others, never asking for anything in return. And I didn't expect anything in return either. I truly believe people should do things for other people out of the kindness of their own hearts; not to bank a favor in return. Yes, as I have gotten older, I've learned how to say no to some requests. But I still usually say yes. I actually like being a person that helped someone out. That alone makes me feel good. But for the first time in my life, I am learning what it feels like to be the person that gets helped. And it turns out that feels good too.

To my family and friends, I am very, truly grateful for you. The things you've done for me have not gone unnoticed or overlooked. In fact, it's the exact opposite. I have started to bank your favors so I can someday pay you back in return. Yeah, I know you weren't looking for payback, but I want to make sure I do something that lets you know I love you. Because I do <3

No comments:

Post a Comment